This blog was written by our new social guru Dana.
TikTok. The indistinct app that everyone’s talking about. You might be thinking to yourself; ‘What is it? ‘Is Ke$ha doing a comeback tour?’ And, ‘Is this platform relevant to me and my brand?’
Well, have no fear! We have gathered all of the important info about this enigmatic social media platform that’s on the rise and are here to answer all of your burning questions.
To start off, let’s cover the basics.
What is TikTok?
TikTok launched in early 2018 and is best described as a combination of the apps Vine and Musical.ly, bringing the best of music and video content creation together. The platform allows users to upload 15-60 second videos with built-in filters, effects, and music and provides opportunities to connect with audiences in new, fun and engaging ways.
As we approach 2020, marketers should keep an open mind and start looking to embrace new social media platforms like TikTok into the marketing mix. Here are 5 reasons why:
1. FAST RESULTS
Taking part in TikTok is low barrier, low production and low expectation. With this in mind, the content is very fast which means there is much more of an opportunity to make an impression on the audience.
2. HUGE ORGANIC REACH
TikTok boasts 1.4 million monthly active users, driving 1.6 billion video views every month. The platform is growing rapidly and with organic reach being extremely large at the moment, there is the potential to go viral overnight.
3. A CHANCE TO FORM REAL CONNECTIONS
TikTok is a hub for creativity and humour, catering to audiences looking for new and fun ways to connect. It’s a good opportunity to show a different side of your company and embrace a more personal tone or behind-the-scenes approach which could make your brand appear more relatable or trustworthy to potential customers.
4. REACH A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC
If a younger demographic is one of the primary targets for your business, TikTok could be a worthwhile investment for you. Currently, 15-24-year-olds make up 71% of TikTok, with the age demographic predicted to widen as the platform attempts to monetise.
In a world where consumers are becoming increasingly sceptical of ads, applying your brand on TikTok could be a great way to stand out in a raw manner.
5. NEW ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Currently, advertising on TikTok can be achieved in the form of;
- Brand takeovers,
- In-feed native videos,
- Hashtag challenges,
- Snapchat style 2-D lens filters for photos and
- Influencer partnerships
As TikTok is still fairly new, their paid marketing in Australia is still in its infancy. They are expected to develop further advertising opportunities and demographic-based targeting in the near future.
So, is TikTok the right platform for you to be marketing your brand? Maybe. Maybe Not.
We say get started on TikTok if:
- You’re targeting an audience in their teens or 20’s or expect that group to engage with your brand in future (that means just about all brands!)
- Your product lends itself to some light-hearted fun
- You know how to use a smartphone!
You don’t have to be a major brand to have a presence and find success on TikTok. We’re excited to start rolling out TikTok content for a variety of clients at littleBIG – both recognisable and new names. Start by creating your brands’ account and brainstorming videos that will be relevant to post, or just go for it. Spend some time absorbing TikTok content so you get a gist for what works, then when you notice a TikTok-able moment, capture it and post – don’t overthink! Here are some examples of videos that other brands are finding success with:
Instructional/Educational videos: Product tutorials, assembly videos, training videos, interviews, re-formatted campaigns and dance marathons.
Humour-based videos: Food challenges, talent led challenges, outtakes and jokes.
Behind the Scenes videos: Day-to-day antics of staff members, sporting game snippets and try-on videos.
Recreate TikTok #Hashtagchallenge videos.
To help you make an informed decision about your social media strategy and whether TikTok is right for your brand, we’ll leave you with these interesting statistics:
- As of early 2019, TikTok is the third-most downloaded app globally. (Business of Apps)
- TikTok users spend an average of 52 minutes per day on the app (Business of Apps)
- By February 2019, TikTok hit 1 billion downloads, beating Instagram and Facebook in app stores. (Business Insider)
- According to a leaked advertising pitch deck from October 2019, TikTok reports having 800 million monthly active users worldwide. (AdAge)
- Roughly 50% of TikTok’s global audience is under the age of 34 with 26% between 18 and 24. (MarketingCharts)
- Users open the app eight times per day on average. (Digiday)
- 90% of TIkTok users visit the app more than once per day. (GlobalWebIndex)
Subscribe to our newsletter for marketing tips, tricks and inspo.